While I was in London, I wanted to make sure that I explored as much of the UK as I did outside of it. I went on a lot of day trips and weekend getaways. The people were always really friendly and I loved seeing all the gorgeous old English houses, and what the small and large sized towns had to offer. I have narrowed down the top 5 places I think you should check out if you are ever in the UK or you live in the UK and haven’t ventured around your own country.
In no particular order (its hard to choose!)
- OxfordWhere to start! The buildings are gorgeous! I really liked Oxford, there is just college after college that is stunning. If your a Harry Potter fan, there were a few places that are from the films. I just loved walking around the streets and wishing I got to go to one of the colleges as a student.
- BathBath was another stunner! If you like culture then this is the place for you. Jane Austen spent a few years here and it is one of the few places where the city is a World Heritage Site. The city’s website has downloadable walking tours which were really great and easy to use. It has a spa where you can get some relaxation where you can rest your feet after a long day of walking the streets.Definitely check it out and save your pennies to treat yourself to the spa!
- BroadstairsNot the biggest of places but if you want to go to a chill place where you can just relax on the beach for the day – then this is the place for you! It was so peaceful, and fun for all ages. If you got sick of sitting on the beach you can make your way up the coast to all the other little bays nearby before heading back for some fish and chips on the beach =)
- Isle of WightAfter a train ride to either Southampton or Portsmouth, catch the ferry across to the Isle of Wight. It is a very small island, and as you can see in the pictures it has beautiful buildings. It is not big at all and has one little strip of shops but if you want to get away from the hustle and bustle of London then this is a relaxing getaway for the weekend, and if your really organised – take a bike as there are paths to get around.
- BrightonBrighton is not far from London, and is the perfect getaway if you still want quite a busy city but with the beach feel. So many winding streets to get lost in shops or eat and drink your way around the city. So many good options so make sure your wallets are full! Then relax on the beach when you have had enough of the crowds and want to cool off with a swim.
To see more on these cities check out my full posts on each one.
Until next time x